ITHA PROVIDES NEW PROPOSAL TO ARLINGTON MAY 1, 2012
In an effort to end the stalemate between the horsemen and Arlington Park, the ITHA Board of
Directors met for several hours today and as of 2pm came up with a new proposed contract for
2012 which it has verbally offered to Arlington General Manager Tony Petrillo and is forwarding in writing
The new proposal takes the 2011 Contract between ITHA and Arlington and makes
approximately a dozen changes/clarifications for 2012. Notably, the horsemen have withdrawn
previous suggested modifications that the ITHA believes were the most contentious issues and
leaves a proposal that is fair and reasonable and the Track should agree to.
During the telephone conference with Tony, the ITHA Board advised that the ITHA agreed to
remove the following asks it previously made:
- Defer recapture payment until receipt of equal subsidy/slots/impact fee revenue
- Split Million Day stakes races purse account losses
- Track not to participate in ITHA political matters
The new proposal makes the following changes/clarifications to the 2011 Contract:
- Extend the term date of the contract so that it is clear that the contract runs from the
start of 2012 to the start of 2013. This makes it clear that between-season issues are
part of the contract such as reviewing the condition book, reviewing stakes schedule, etc.
- Provide purse reports that has daily information on it. Now we get reports that are weekly
combined figures which make it impossible to see how we did on individual days.
- Minimum purse raised from $5,000 to $13,335. During the contested dates hearing last fall
when Arlington tried to eliminate Hawthorne's Spring Meet, Arlington provided a chart of
what it would be paying in 2012 purses without the Spring dark time money. The lowest purse
it stated it would pay was $13,335 for $5,000 claimers. In the 2012 Condition Book #1, which
was released without ITHA approval, it offers $11,500 for $5,000 claimers.
- Written approval for 2012 Condition Book #2 and Condition Book #1 for 2013.
- Molaro Impact Fee monies released in 2011 to be spent pursuant to the 2011 contract terms.
- $37,500 dollar for dollar contribution match with ITHA to Galloping Out thoroughbred horse
- Hold harmless to ITHA Board and Staff for ITHA and horsemen group activities.
- Increase level for ITHA approval for overnight stakes in 2012 and 2013 from $50K to $65K.
- Raise Illinois bred/foaled races to at least $2,000 more than comparable open races. The 2011
Contract had those races at least $1,000 more than opens and the Condition Book #1 this year
has them equal.
- ITHA to be paid 2% of purse monies generated from all sources (handle, impact fees
including Molaro monies, 10th license, slots, etc.) 2011 and previous contracts had the 2%
payment coming from handle only.
The ITHA Board has offered to meet with anyone at Arlington Park with authority to sign a
contract for 2012 tonight at 7pm at a mutually agreeable neutral location. The Illinois Racing
Board has agreed to participate by telephone in this effort.
The ITHA continues to negotiate in good faith and will protect the interests of horsemen racing
Michael B. Campbell, ITHA President
Glen E. Berman, ITHA Executive Director